Want to make your Windows 10 run faster on your PC/Laptop, Windows 10 is getting slower how to make Windows 10 faster, Is there any settings to improve Windows 10 performance, How can i Improve windows 10 performance, Speed up my Windows 10 PC, make my PC faster
Can you name the Most Widely used operating system in the world? Comment your answers below and I will answer this question in this post. So read the complete post and I can bet that you will not regret. In next 3 mins you will be getting 10 different ways through which you can increase the speed of you Windows 10 PC or Laptop. In this article I will also cover how to speed up the boot time (Starting up time) in Windows 10. So without wasting time lets jump into the steps.
1. Disable Startup Programs to make Windows 10 Faster
To reduce the Startup time of your Windows OS, the best thing to do first is to disable the by default startup programs which you don’t require. Actually Startup programs are the applications which start running automatically in the background, at the moment you turn on windows.
Even you have not open these programs manually they starts running in background automatically and ends up eating your resources. The biggest problem is that you don’t even require these programs and still you have to compromise the system resource.
To Stop these programs from running automatically whenever you start your computer, please follow below steps:
- Open Task Manager by clicking Ctrl + Shift + Esc together.
- Switch to Startup tab and check for unnecessary programs which you do not require at the time of system startup and has higher Startup Impact. As shown in figure 1, disable them then the status will get change from Enabled to Disabled.
The above change in setting will help you speed up the boot time, now further in the this article I will be showing you step which will focus on increasing performance to make windows 10 faster.
2. Make Windows 10 faster and Enhance its Performance
Before starting the guide to make windows 10 faster in my opinion it is important to know the main reasons which can slow down your PC, below I have mentioned few points that can really impact on the performance as well as speed of you Laptop/PC
- Limited Hardware Resources: There is very minute difference while determining whether there is a resource limitation or you have more that what is actually needed. Most of us either have very limited resources or we have far more than what we actually need. If you have limited hardware resources available then either you have to limit multitasking and using heavy applications or you have to upgrade
- Unwanted Services Running in the Background: Windows 10 is famous for this, there are hell lot of programs running continuously in the background and they eat up your resources and eventually make your pc slower.
- HDD vs SSD: This is something which make huge difference in terms of speed and performance. Poorest of the poor SSD can give around 20x speed and performance boost.
- Poor heat dissipation: If your laptop or PCis not able to dissipate heat properly or its heating more than normal then it will impact your performance. Try to provide proper ventilation and use fans cool down your PC/laptop and you will a significant increase in the performance.
Further you can read our guide on Do you really need SSD? Advantages and Disadvantages of SSD over HDD
Now finally I will show you few settings which will help you in making your Windows 10 faster and you can see a bump up in the performance
3. Turn Off Visual Effects
If you have older device which has very low end hardware components like small size of RAM, older Processor and HDD. Then you can turn off Visual Effects in Windows but yes it may ruin your experience as it will turn off all sorts of animations. This will actually optimize your PC for better performance.
To turn off Visual effect, windows offer easy ways as shown in below steps:
- Navigate to System –> Advanced System Settings
- Navigate to Advanced Tab
- Under Performance, chose settings. It will open Performance Options where you can chose different options (as shown in Figure 2)
- Chose Adjust for best Performance to shut off all Visual effects.
4. Change Power Plan Setting
Windows offer you 3 plans which decide how your processor change its frequency. You might have seen them, they are Balanced, High Performance and Power Saver.
- Search Power Plan in Windows search
- Chose or customize a Power Plan (As shown in Figure 3)
Balanced mode will give you mixture of both worlds. It will not consume that much of power as well as not compromise much on the performance side.
High Performance Mode will offer you the best performance possible by the processor, in this mode Windows consume huge power supply which is used by the processor. In this mode you will get lesser battery life (In laptops)
Power Saver mode will offer you maximum battery life by compromising on the performance side. In this mode Processor is being restricted in some manner to offer better performance.
5. Remove pre-installed to make Windows 10 faster
Windows 10 comes with lots of pre installed apps which generally we dont use at all. Most of the apps are unnecessary, and they are constantly eating your resources.
The real problem is that you can not uninstall them from Control pannel. You have to use Power Sell to run script to uninstall them, although its very very easy if you have the script with you. Dont worry I will be provinf the script below. So that you can remove the applications which is not required for you.
Press Windows button from Keyboard and type Power Shell –> By this way you are searching for Power Shell Application and Windows will show you Power shell
Right click on it and run as Admin –> This way you are running Power Shell as admin
Now just copy and paste below commands in power shell (Note for pasting command just use right click from mouse or track pad ctrl+v does work)
- To Uninstall 3D Builder:
Get-AppxPackage *3dbuilder* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall Alarm and Clock (If you dont need):
Get-AppxPackage *windowsalarms* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall Calender and Mail:
Get-AppxPackage *windowscommunicationsapps* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall Camera:
Get-AppxPackage *windowscamera* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall Get Office:
Get-AppxPackage *officehub* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall Get Skype:
Get-AppxPackage *skypeapp* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall Get Started:
Get-AppxPackage *getstarted* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall Groove Music:
Get-AppxPackage *zunemusic* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall Maps:
Get-AppxPackage *Windowsmaps* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall Microsoft Solitaire Collection:
Get-AppxPackage *solitairecollection* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall Money:
Get-AppxPackage *bingfinance* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall Movies and TV:
Get-AppxPackage *zunevideo* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall News:
Get-AppxPackage *bingenews* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall OneNote:
Get-AppxPackage *onenote* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall People:
Get-AppxPackage *people* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall Phone Companion:
Get-AppxPackage *windowsphone* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall Sports:
Get-AppxPackage *bingesports* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall Weather:
Get-AppxPackage *bingeweather* | Remove-AppxPackage
- To Uninstall Xbox:
Get-AppxPackage *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackage
After removing all the not required packages Do Restart your PC/Laptop.
6. Optimise Boot Options with No GUI Boot to make Windows 10 faster
- open run by Win + R –> type “msconfig” –> hit Enter to launch it
- MsConfig opens system configuration
- Under Boot tab –> check on “No GUI Bootb”
- Click the Advanced options –> check the “Number of processes” also, select the higher number from the drop-down list –> Hit OK to save changes
- Now click on Apply –> click on the Restart button as poped up
7. Deleteting Temporary Files
Windows create temporary files as we use windows on daily basis, these files piles up and becomes very huge sometimes consumes gigabytes of spaces in your hard disk. So cleaning these temp files can reduce stress on system.
- Open Run tool by hitting Win + R
- Type %temp% –> hit Enter
- Select all the files present in the folder by Ctrl + A
- Hit Delete button (It might throw error for few files if asked then skip all of those files for which you are getting error)
8. Use Microsoft Windows Ready Boost (USB as RAM) to make Windows 10 faster
If you have small size RAM in your Laptop or PC and need some hack then read this carefully it might interests you and help you make Windows 10 faster. Windows 10 offers you a feature using which you can use an external USB drive as additional RAM to speed up the Windows performance. using this Utility offered by Microsoft you may see a significant improvement in your windows performance. Read this guide directly from Microsoft page
9. Upgrade Hardware
If your device is old enough and you dont need to buy new one then you may consider changing your HDD hard disk with SSD and belive me this small expense will make your complete experience rich.
Install Windows in the SSD and experience new world full of speedy performance. It will also reduce the heating of your machine.
We have covered the benifits of SSD in details in our Article here
10. Disk Defragment
If you have HDD you might face the issue of Disk Fragmentations as with time the files stored in the disk got fragmented and we need to Defragment it so that they can be arranges in a systematic manner in the Disk. ideally you should do it on a regular basis, it improves your read/write speed.
Defreagmenting a Disk is very easy but time consuming process if fragmented files size is huge.
- Open Windows menu –> Search Defragment –> Launch Defragment and Optimize drives tool
- Click on Analyse it will analyse the fragmented segments on disk.
- Click on Optimize to Start defragmentation Process
- Wait for the process to end and its done.
Can I make windows 10 run faster in Low end computer?
Yes, you can but them you have to comrpomise with the animations and tweak some settings like uninstalling pre loaded applicaions using power shell and changing startup options. Dont worry i have covered all in this article
Why Windows 10 slow down?
The main reason in my eyes are the too many backgroung processes running in Windows 10 which consumes huge amount of your machines resources. But its not the only reason there are many more we have covered on this article
How much RAM Windows 10 need to run smoothly?
If I have to make a call for myself then I will go with 8 GB of ram as it will handle every thing required for normal user and sometime little above than average also. Although 4GB is also good if you are using it just for office use or to consume media.